Events | News | Meetings & Agendas | Site Index

*Click/tap here for coronavirus (COVID-19) information. Haz clic/pulsa aquí para obtener información sobre el coronavirus (COVID-19).*

  • City Profile
  • Latest Developments
  • Start a Business in Hawaiian Gardens
Start a Business in Hawaiian Gardens
Economic DevelopmentTranslate Larger Text PrintShare

The City of Hawaiian Gardens enjoys an outstanding business area profile with respect to location, people, neighborhoods, and opportunities:

  • In the Gateway Region, Hawaiian Gardens location is central to downtown Los Angeles’s booming economic core but away from the confines, costs and confusion of the urban metropolis.
  • Hawaiian Gardens offers the recognized promise of reasonable growth with a housing inventory that meets both family and executive housing demands at prices that are favorable compared to Los Angeles and Orange Counties, as well as a pledge towards enhancing commercial development and revitalization.
  • The City has stable quality neighborhoods where the crime rate is low and the city government is committed to a safe and a secure future.
  • Hawaiian Gardens is home to the Hawaiian Gardens Casino, an over 57,000 square foot casino serving surrounding communities since 1996. The permanent 250,000 squar foot Casino Building is scheduled to open first quarter of 2016.

Starting a Business

The information below is a basic overview of the process to do business in the City of Hawaiian Gardens. It is not an exaustive list of all requirements. Additional permits, licenses, fees, and regulations may apply, depending on type of business.

  • Ensure business location matches zoning requirements
  • Acquire a Business license
  • Acquire permits for construction and remodeling
  • Acquire fire permits and inspections
  • Acquire Health Department permits for food related business
  • Acquire ABC permit for alcohol related business
  • Acquire Sellers permit
  • File a fictitious business name with Los Angeles County Clerk Office
  • Retailers, Wholesales, and Manufacturers must acquire permits from California State Board of Equalization
  • Some Businesses and Professions must acquire license from the State
  • Some Businesses may require DOJ Clearance
  • Employers must file with IRS and State Employment Development Department

Business License Form must also be filled by Existing Businesses in case of:

  • Change of ownership
  • Change of location
  • Change of location within the city
  • Change of business name

City Resources

Contact the City of Hawaiian Gardens Finance Department for assistance with the following:
(562) 420-2641 ext. 236

The City Planning Department can assist you with the following:
(562) 420-2641 ext. 208

  • Zoning and Restrictions
  • Permits on the use of the building
  • Permits for building or remodeling

County, State and Federal Resources

-Contact the Los Angeles County Fire Department for fire safety inspection.
(562) 860-8014

-Contact the Los Angeles County Clerk to file a Fictitious Business Name Statement.
(562) 462-2177

-Contact the California Board of Equalization for a seller’s permit or resale number, if your business involved selling or leasing.
(800) 400-7115

-If your business plans on hiring employees contact:

-Businesses serving food should contact the Los Angeles County Health Department:

If moving to existing food business that has been closed 90 or more days, contact
Health Department Plan Check Department
(626) 430-5560
5050 Commerce Dr., Baldwin Park, CA 91706

New or relocating food related businesses need the following prior to contacting the Health Department for Inspection and Permits:

  • Business License (or receipt showing that it is being processed by the city of Hawaiian Gardens)
  • Sellers Permit
  • Closing Escrow papers or Lease Agreement
  • Drivers License

Businesses serving or selling Alcohol should contact California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control
(562) 982-1337

-Air quality permits can be acquired from the AQMD (909) 396-2000

Utility Information:

Electric: Southern California Edison (800) 655-4555

Gas: Southern California Gas (800) 427-2000

Water: Golden State Water Company (562) 430-7541

Sewer: LA County Sanitation District (562) 699-7411

Recycling/Waste: Waste Resources, Inc (888) 467-7600

Join Clean Power Alliance’s Green Leader Program: As a 100% Green Power customer, you are doing your part in building our clean energy future and Clean Power Alliance wants to help you get credit for your environmental leadership! Simply fill out the application form to join the program and one of our staff members will follow up with you to confirm your membership.